Monday 5 October 2009

A New Age


Technology has drastically changed our overseas experience, in comparison to our time spent in Kuwait fourteen years ago. In 1995, in preparation for the move, we purchased our first computer. We spent $3,000, for a machine that was basically a word processor & CD reader, as the internet was still in it's infancy, and unknown to us. News from home was rare, usually by letter, and the cause of much excitement and delight. Jim and I spoke with our parents by phone every two weeks, and though the reception wasn't bad, it was similar to using a walkie talkie as one had to wait a full second between responses. We were able to keep up with the big news stories via CNN or BBC, but keeping up with the latest books or movies was difficult. Well, wait at minute--I did locate a place to buy pirated copies of movies when they were released to video, and became a frequent customer. However books and newspapers were harder to come by, and usually geared towards the British population. I remember missing my daily Houston Chronicle and greedily reading whatever freebie newspaper Jim would bring home after an airline flight.

How the world has changed! With my laptop, I can read the Houston Chronicle with my coffee every morning. Or log onto any number of news sites. Communicating with loved ones can be quickly and efficiently done in a number of ways. Email, (which is now considered old fashioned) is instantaneous, and doesn't require a laborsome and unpleasant trip to a foreign post office. Facebook has been a Godsend as far as staying connected with a large number of friends & family. I check it every morning & evening, enjoying the conversation and photographs shared by loved ones from home. But the biggest improvement in my mind, has been the ability to Skype.

It is mind boggling to me, that with a click of my mouse, I suddenly am talking as well as seeing the person on the other end of the computer. And it doesn't cost us a dime! At odd time during the day, a ring tone will interrupt my surfing, and one of the kids will suddenly appear and we'll chat for a half hour or so. Through the miracle of Skype, June and I have swapped our weekly afternoon coffee from the Richmond Coffee House to our computer screens. I talk more now with my sister Christy, than I did pre-Skype, and even my mother, at 83, has learned how to use it. It truly adds a new dimension to see the other person and their expressions and reactions as one talks.

This was never more evident than yesterday. I had just gotten out of bed, and still in my robe, when Emily called (in tears) to relate the events of the season's premiere of "Brothers and Sisters".  Just as the conversation was winding down, Jim's computer rang and it was Tyler. He called me over to talk also, but as I hadn't even had a cup of coffee yet, I wasn't inclined to hurry, figuring that Jim could carry the conversation for awhile. But he called me again, insisting I come, so I did, albeit, a bit grumpily. When I sat down to talk, both Tyler and Maegan were on screen, smiling broadly and looking very happy. And when he said, "Well, Mom and Dad, we've got some pretty big news", I started to get chills, suddenly realizing what he was about to say. To be able to see both their faces, and their joy, when they announced their engagement was a pleasure I had never imagined. We talked, we laughed, we shared their excitement, all four of us at the same time. We even saw the ring--and goodness, was it ever gorgeous! I am delighted that my son has found love with such a lovely and talented woman and even more delighted at the fact that she's clearly as in love with him as he is with her.

Congratulations and all my love to the both of you.

And Thank You, Skype!

1 comment:

  1. Maegan made the comment, that you and dad were the first people to see the ring, because of Skype. And if I would have been thinking clearer, I would have hit the record button during our conversation. :)

    ReplyDelete